How To Store Your MotorbikeOctober 20, 2022
Is Your Self Storage Unit Ready for Fall?November 17, 2022
North Carolina is no stranger to storms so we think it’s time that we give you a quick rundown on things you should do before you leave. As powerful as a storm maybe, these simple tips will go along way to ensure you and your things are the way they should be when the storm passes.
Storm Preparation Tips
Before The Storm
With a storm on its way, you have a few days to prepare for it. Here is a quick list of things you should do before it gets here:
- Know the emergency shelters here in Winston-Salem. Here is a website will all the info on shelters.
- Have a disaster supply kit ready and on hand. Here is a quick guide to assembling an emergency kit.
- Have non-perishable food and water on hand and ready.
- Prescription medicines and backup supply.
Keeping your home as safe as you can is important too:
- Shutter your windows (plywood works great in a pinch). DO NOT leave windows open, this is a myth and will not help.
- Trim nearby trees and branches. Loose branches can cause a lot of damage to your home, vehicles and persons.
- Get your pets ready, have food and water available for them.
- Have emergency communications setup. Battery operated radios and walkie-talkies are good ideas.
During The Storm
During the storm, make sure to do these things:
- Listen to the radio and understand the storm’s path.
- Evacuate if you are told to, take blankets and your emergency supplies to the nearest shelter.
- Stay away from glass windows and door.
- Put all important documents in waterproof bags (dry bags work well here)
- Do not return to your home until instructed.
At Custom Self Storage, we hope these storm preparation tips help during the next one to come our way. You can always trust our storage units to be a safe place for your valuables.